Skip to content

Student Visa and Immigration

City College Norwich is registered with the UKVI as a student sponsor. 

Generally, if you are not a citizen of a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) nation, and you wish to study for a course that is longer than 6 months in duration (or 11 months for an English language course), you will be required to obtain a points-based student route visa.

Further information on the points-based student route visa requirements can be found at the Home Office website here

In order to meet the points requirements to be issued a points-based student route visa, you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) and evidence of meeting the financial requirements to be issued for a visa to live and study in the UK.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

If you are applying for a points-based student route visa, you will need to provide the College with the following documents during your application process:

  • A copy of all prior educational qualifications including a final transcript/statement of results.
  • If applicable, a copy of your Secured English Language Test (SELT) result.
  • A copy of your biographical page of your current passport, plus all visa stamps.
  • A detailed timeline of your immigration history, showing all countries visited, length of stay and visas applied for.
  • A detailed timeline of your educational history, showing all qualifications studied for.
  • Financial documents showing you have enough funds to support yourself during your studies in the UK. This generally will entail demonstrating that you have savings of, or access to, £1015 pounds per month for nine months (for a sum total of £9135.)
  • Any other relevant document requested by the International Team.

After assessing these documents, if the College is satisfied that you meet all of the institutional and legislative requirements for points-based student route visa sponsorship, then you will receive a formal letter of admission from the International Team.

Once you have accepted this offer and paid the required deposit of the entire first year fees for your course (if you are studying a Bachelor Degree or A Levels) or your entire course fees (if you are studying for an Access Course), then you will receive your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from the International Team.

You can thereafter apply for your student visa using your CAS here


Both the College and its international students have responsibilities under the Terms of the points-based student route visa. It is very important that both parties meet these duties and responsibilities at all times.

City College Norwich's Immigration Responsibilities

  • Ensure that those students who require immigration permission to study in the UK have such permission.
  • Take and keep copies of the passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permits for students to whom we have issued a CAS
  • Keep up-to-date contact details for our International Students, including home and overseas addresses and telephone numbers. This information will be collected in termly meetings
  • Check the enrolment of our students and to report any failure to enrol to UKVI
  • Monitor student's attendance and progression and report to UKVI any failure to meet the college’s requirements for progression and attendance
  • Monitor changes of status and to report deferrals, suspensions, withdrawals and course terminations to UKVI
  • Notify UKVI of any significant changes in your circumstances (example: a change of course or the successful completion of your course where this is earlier than expected)

Your Immigration Responsibilities

It is important that as an International Student you comply with the UK Immigration regulations during your stay in the UK. Your immigration responsibilities are to:

  • Provide City College Norwich with a copy of your current passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit so the college can record your visa expiry date.
  • Keep your UK and Overseas contact details up to date with the college’s International Team, informing us if there is a change of details.
  • Re-enrol for your course on time each academic year.
  • Study whilst you are in the UK, ensuring that you meet the progression and attendance requirements of your course with no significant gaps or absences.
  • Follow College procedures if you decide to defer or suspend your studies, change your registration status, or withdraw from your course. You are strongly advised to consult the IAG and International Team Leader on how these changes would affect your current immigration status.
  • Leave the UK if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or your course is terminated. You should seek immigration advice if your student registration changes in any of these ways.
  • Register with the Police if required and update your certificate of Police registration with any change of personal details
  • Ensure you do not breach the conditions of your visa for example; do not break the rules on working or claiming public funds.
  • Ensure you continue to retain a valid visa by extending or applying for a new visa before your current visa expires and that you provide the College with a copy of any new visa.
  • Ensure you provide the college with a copy of a new/renewed passport each time this is obtained.
  • Attend all classes and tutorials regularly and punctually, attendance is monitored weekly.
  • Submit the best quality work you are capable of on time.

Short-term Study Visa

As a registered points-based student route visa sponsor, City College Norwich is also able to admit international students aged 19 and over on the Short-Term Study Visa to its English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Course. This visa can be issued for up to 11 months.

Further information on this visa can be found here

Non-student Visa's

You may also be able to study at City College Norwich as an international student if you are on another type of visa category which will allow you to live and study in the UK.

This can include, but are not restricted to, Refugee visa’s, Leave to Remain/Enter visa’s, Spousal/Partner visa’s and EU Family Member visa’s.  Please contact the International Team for more information.