Students studying new T Level qualifications or Level 3 courses are required to complete an industry placement with an employer as part of their course.
We are looking to work with local employers to offer industry placements to provide high quality, skilled young people into industry.
What is an industry placement?
Industry placements are extended periods of what most people will know as work experience.
The main difference is the number of hours required to meet the conditions for the new T Level qualifications which are significant at 315 hours (minimum), plus that students will all be studying a Level 3 qualification (A Level equivalent).
What are the main principles of an industry placement?
- They are a minimum of 315 hours in length, with an expected average of 350 hours (this excludes 1 hour per day for lunch). The required hours can be delivered at the discretion of the college in accordance with the needs of the employer and the student
- They need to be specific to a job role and focused on developing the practical and technical skills required for the profession or trade that the student is studying for
- They will generally take place with a single employer (maximum of up to 2 employers) at their place of work
- Set learning objectives are agreed between the employer, student and provider
- Adequate supervision will be provided by a named member of the employers’ staff who can support and mentor the student
- They will be monitored by actual site visits from the provider, with review meetings at the start, middle and end to review the student’s progress. This is supplemented by more informal engagement and communication throughout
- They will be delivered within the academic timetable as far as possible. We do, however, recognise in some occupations, peak times will either be seasonal or fall outside the providers’ normal working hours
What would an employer have to commit to?
- The required number of hours needed to meet the minimum threshold (315hrs)
- Provide a named line manager/mentor who can supervise and support the student
- Provide a welcoming and safe environment for the student to work in and for the college to conduct a formal health and safety visit to the premises
- Participate in three formal review meetings to check student progress against agreed learning objectives
- Verifying the hours that the student works with you via our software package
- Complete a short employer reference for the student on completion of the placement
Benefits of an industry placement for an employer
- Extra resource for day-to-day projects
- Supporting current and future skills shortages
- Creative workforce with imaginative new ideas
- Diverse workforce bringing a fresh perspective
- Up-skilling of existing staff through coaching/mentoring opportunities
- Strengthen your recruitment pipeline
- Added value and increased productivity
- Supports corporate social responsibilities
Industries where we are looking for industry placements
- Beauty Therapy
- Business Management
- Construction Design, Surveying and Planning
- Customer Service, Retail and Marketing
- Digital Production, Design and Development
- Digital Support and Services
- Engineering Design, Development and Control
- Engineering Manufacturing
- Estate Agency
- Financial Services
- Media Broadcast and Production
- Motor Vehicle Maintenance
- Social Care
Interested in offering an industry placement?
If you are interested in offering an industry placement get in touch at email@example.com or 01603 773759. A member of our Industry Placement Team will then get back to you to discuss how best to move forward.
Become a T Level Industry Placement Partner
If you would be willing to be a formal T Level Industry Placement Partner and work more closely with the college in relation to the T Levels and industry placements, please contact Laura McLean, Director of Strategic Development and Implementation, at firstname.lastname@example.org