Norwich, NR3 2HF
This job is responsible for supporting the Room Supervisor and/or Deputy Nursery Manager in providing a high-quality nursery provision, catering for children aged from 2 months to 5 years, at the Nursery.
The nursery is committed to the overarching aim of the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) framework which guides the work of all our early years’ practitioners. The primary focus of the role is to deliver a range of high quality creative and developmental nursery activities in line with policies and practice of the Nursery that meet standards and regulatory requirements.
YMCA Norfolk provides housing and family support in the county of Norfolk and we have done so since 1856 we work with local authorities and social housing providers to offer housing for vulnerable young people homeless or at risk of homelessness. We also provide family support to those in need through local schools and within family homes. We offer sports and youth clubs in the county of Norfolk to give young people a place to go and socialise and get fit. We are proud of our heritage and ability to provide support to those in need.
In April 2021 we opened Muddy Puddles Nursery to provide care and learning opportunities for the families and young children of Norwich. This service offers families childcare from birth to 5, offering a wide range of activities, support and communications during their early years.
The key elements of the post are to:
a) Work as a member of the nursery team, showing initiative and creativity, and fostering an environment which encourages the children’s all-round development and where high standards of care are provided.
b) Act as a keyworker to allocated children.
c) Encourage the participation of parents and carers.
d) Work towards and achieve the agreed Key Performance Indicators and performance objectives, and ensure a high level of service is always provided.
Work with children and parents:
1) Following the guidelines of the EYFS framework and Nursery policy, assist with the delivery of a programme of activities which suit the children’s stages of development.
2) Under the guidance of the Room Supervisor, assist with the creation of a stimulating and attractive environment.
3) Always provide and maintain close supervision of the children in your care (indoor and outdoor) and at mealtimes.
4) Act as keyworker, observe and record development and progress in individual portfolios and weekly diaries (depending on age group) for each child within their key group using Care Connect.
5) Develop positive trusting relationships with parents/carers, encouraging them to be actively involved in nursery life, liaising in a friendly, professional manner and providing an effective 2-way flow of information, knowledge and expertise.
6) Work within the EYFS principles, adhere to and positively promote Nursery and YMCA Norfolk policies, procedures and guidelines.
7) Strictly adhere to the agreed nursery behaviour management policy and procedures, promoting positive behaviour always.
8) Commit to developing and maintaining a multicultural, anti-racist, non-sexist environment, respecting the children’s individual differences.
9) Ensuring that room registers, signing in/out sheets, children’s nappy charts, diaries and progress charts are maintained on a regular basis.
Health & Wellbeing:
1) Provide and encourage the children to eat a healthy balanced meal, whilst adhering to any noted menu dietary allergies/requests.
2) Provide and encourage children to drink fresh drinking water/milk as appropriate.
3) During snack and mealtimes, ensure all children are supervised and that by following nursery policy and procedures around dietary requirements, needs are safely met.
4) Always ensure the general cleanliness of the children.
5) Work as part of a team to ensure the building and all equipment indoors and out is in a safe and clean condition, ensuring all faults are reported through the appropriate channels.
6) Operate the highest standard of hygiene and cleanliness in the nappy changing/toilet area and food service areas.
7) Liaise with parents to discuss the care of their children.
Health & Safety, Policies, and Safeguarding:
1) Share responsibility for safeguarding all children within the nursery.
2) Ensure that the Room Supervisor (or nursery management in his/her absence) is aware of any incidents affecting the welfare of the children in your care. Log any incidents/accidents or safeguarding concerns on our INFORM system.
3) Be familiar with all emergency and security procedures e.g. fire drill, dropping off and collecting routines.
1) Keep own knowledge updated, including knowledge of relevant childcare legislation, curriculum and theories of child development.
2) Attend training programmes and meetings with staff and parents as required.
3) Achieve performance objectives set by the Nursery Manager.
4) Respect and maintain confidentiality of all information received.
5) Be a reliable member of a team, working co-operatively and with flexibility, contributing positively to the development of a team environment.
1) To ensure that YMCA Norfolk’s Safeguarding Procedures, Policies and Operational Guidance are delivered in line with our values and ethos.
2) To ensure the primacy of safeguarding children, young people and adults within or connected to YMCA Norfolk.
3) To promote the welfare of children, young people and adults within or connected to YMCA Norfolk.
4) To ensure effective liaison with all departments regarding relevant issues and information.
5) To assist the Families Team Manager in representing the YMCA work with external agencies and local churches as appropriate to develop a better service within YMCA Norfolk and across agencies.
6) To input into cross-locality and cross-organisational working groups to support wider organisational objectives.
7) To contribute in monthly team meetings to further the current community work in line with the Organisations vision and strategy.
8) Attend and participate in regular one to one-line management and an annual appraisal.
9) To ensure that the performance requirements of YMCA Norfolk (YMCAN) and funders are met and that parents and their families receive a high-quality person-centred service that is in line with YMCAN’s values.
10) To maintain effective systems for recording and measuring outcomes for Quality Assurance purposes.
11) To be alert to and manage risk effectively in all locations.
12) To adhere to all lone working policies and risk assessments provided for you by YMCAN.
13) To actively take part in required mandatory training as part of the yearly cyclical training calendar.
14) To operate within clear professional boundaries and work within YMCA Norfolk’s Staff Code of Conduct.
15) To operate within the Behaviours Framework embedded across the organisation.
16) To implement and adhere to YMCA Norfolk’s Policy and Procedures at all times.
17) To actively encourage a culture of involvement and inclusion of young people in the work and life of YMCAN.
18) To engage in wider involvement opportunities and activities of YMCAN.
Equality and Diversity:
19) To act in accordance with YMCAN’s equality, diversity and inclusion policy and procedures, to ensure that the Association is compliant with legal and regulatory requirements.
20) To work in line with the ethos of the organisation across the service area.
21) To ensure all policies, procedures and working practices within the service area support the Christian identity and values of the organisation.
£9.13 per hour
How to apply
Please download complete and return our application form here: https://www.ymcanorfolk.org/2021/05/11/nursery-nurse-2/
Completed application forms to be sent to: email@example.com