Civil Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard
- September 2021, Apprenticeship
A Civil Engineering Technician provides technical support to engineers and other construction professionals in the design, development, construction, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of the built environment and infrastructure.
Course Content includes:
- Professional Knowledge/ Skills/ Behaviours
- Design – assisting in the development of technical solutions by producing design models, calculations, reports and drawings, surveying a site, using appropriate analysis and relevant codes.
- Analysis – using appropriate software systems and other data gathering tools and tests to solve technical problems.
- Project delivery – contributing to planning, managing work schedules, budgets and deadlines, and ensuring outputs comply with client and industry specifications, standards and guidance.
- Site engineering - operating quality systems and Health, Safety and Risk Management procedures and checking specified technical aspects of site activities.
You will complete the Level 3 Civil Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Standard.
- This Apprenticeship will involve college attendance and off the job training.
- You will also develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours.
- You need to have an employer to support your Apprenticeship and be employed in a relevant job role.
- The typical length of this Apprenticeship course is 36 months.
- This course starts in September.
Contact our Apprenticeship Team to find out when our next course start date is.
If you already have an employer for your Apprenticeship, or would like more information on how to find an Apprenticeship, please click Apply Now.
If you are an Employer who is looking to recruit an Apprentice or already have someone you would like to enrol onto the Apprenticeship course, please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01603 773365 or email Apprenticeships@ccn.ac.uk to discuss next steps.
Why Our College?
All construction and building services students learn in our specialist workshops using the latest tech and equipment.
Expert teaching staff
Our teaching staff are industry experts with real life experience working within their sector
Real work experience
You'll gain hands-on experience working with local and national employers
Employers will set their own requirements; however for this Level 3 Apprenticeship course, applicants will need a total of 5 GCSEs at grade (A*-C) or (9-4) which includes:
- GCSE grade (A*-C) or (4-9) in English
- GCSE grade (A*-C) or (4-9) in Science
- GCSE grade (A*-B) or (6-9) in Maths
(or bespoke initial assessment if they have a C)
In order to enrol onto an Apprenticeship, you need to be employed in a relevant job role and undertake a range of tasks which would enable you to complete the Apprenticeship qualification.
Applicants who are currently undertaking or sitting GCSEs should include their predicted grades on their application. If successful for this position, they will be offered a conditional place on the Apprenticeship course, subject to them meeting the entry requirements listed above.
For the full Apprenticeship, candidates will complete:
- Level 3 Civil Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 2 Award in Functional Skills Mathematics
- Level 2 Award in Functional Skills English
- End point assessment – leading to EngTech qualification with the ICE for successful candidates
Training and assessments are delivered in the workplace and in college. Apprentices will be required to attend college-based sessions as part of their training, whilst also completing off-the-job training in the workplace. You will also complete assessments and observations in the workplace.
You will need to complete Level 2 Maths and English before End Point Assessment.
At the end of the Apprenticeship you will complete an End Point Assessment which will comprise of:
STAGE 1 – is the preparation for the presentation and structured interview. It will consist of
A project which will test the apprentice’s ability to integrate the knowledge, skills and behaviours acquired during the apprenticeship by developing a response to a technical project brief set by the Professional Engineering Institution, with a number of options and a rationale for the choice of one as the optimum solution.
A written report of 1400-1600 words which demonstrates how, in the course of their apprenticeship, the apprentice has integrated the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed to be a competent Civil Engineering Technician. The report is verified by a professionally qualified engineer and will be used to inform the structured interview
STAGE 2 – A 10 minute presentation by the apprentice to the Assessor Panel showcasing their response to the project brief. This will be followed by 30-45 minutes of questions and discussion.
HND in Civil Engineering
On completion of the apprenticeship the apprentice will have satisfied the requirements for registration as an Engineering Technician by the relevant professional engineering institution in accordance with the requirements of the Engineering Council as the registration body.
Apprenticeship course fees are subject to the age of the apprentice, the payroll of the employer and the number of employees. Course fees are paid by the employer and not the apprentice. Employers who take on an apprentice aged between 16-18 years old, or with an Educational Health Care Plan, will receive an Incentive Payment to help cover their costs. To discuss Apprenticeship course fees, employers should contact the Apprenticeship Team on 0800 328 3616 or email Apprenticeships@ccn.ac.uk.
For more information on recruiting an apprentice or if you would like to train your existing staff please contact our Employer Partnerships Team on 0800 328 3616 or email Apprenticeships@ccn.ac.uk.
Gas Engineering Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard
Level 3, Apprenticeship, 2 years
Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard
Level 3, Apprenticeship, 5+ years
Installation Electrician Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard
Level 3, Apprenticeship, 4 years
Carpentry and Joinery Apprenticeship Level 2 Standard
Level 2, Apprenticeship, 3 years