Commis Chef Apprenticeship Level 2 Standard
- August 2019, Apprenticeship
A Commis Chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and in principal the most junior culinary role. A Commis Chef prepares food and carries out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef. The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that this role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.
Course Content includes:
• Identify factors which influence menus, review and refresh menus
• Check food stocks, report on shortages, prioritise food that is close to expiry and keep the storage areas in good order
• Demonstrate a range of craft and basic skills and techniques
• Work effectively with others to ensure dishes produced are of high quality
• Follow procedures regarding usage and waste of resources
• Behave in a manner in line with the values and culture of the business
You will complete Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard.
• This Apprenticeship will involve college attendance and off the job training.
• You will also develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours.
• You need to have an employer to support your Apprenticeship and be employed in a relevant job role.
• The typical length of this Apprenticeship course is 12-18 months.
• This course has several entry points during the year.
Contact our Apprenticeship Team to find out when our next course start date is.
If you already have an employer for your Apprenticeship, or would like more information on how to find an Apprenticeship, please click Apply Now.
If you are an Employer who is looking to recruit an Apprentice or already have someone you would like to enrol onto the Apprenticeship course, please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 01603 773365 or email EmployerPartnerships@CCN.ac.uk to discuss next steps.
• Level 1 Functional Skills in Maths and English, or equivalent qualifications
• In order to enrol onto an Apprenticeship, you need to be employed in a relevant job role and undertake a range of tasks which would enable you to complete the Apprenticeship qualification.
For the full Apprenticeship, candidates will complete:
• Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard
• Level 2 Functional Skills in English
• Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths
Training and assessments are delivered in the workplace and in college. Apprentices will be required to attend college-based sessions as part of their training, whilst also completing off-the-job training in the workplace. You will also complete assessments and observations in the workplace.
You will need to complete Level 2 Maths and English before End Point Assessment.
At the end of the Apprenticeship you will complete an End Point Assessment which will comprise of:
1. 90 minute multiple choice test
2. 3 hour practical observation in the workplace
3. 2 hour observation in controlled environment
On completion of parts 1-3:
4. 40 minute professional discussion with independent end point assessor.
On successful completion you could progress onto a Level 3 Apprenticeship, including the Level 3 Chef de Partie Standard . Alternatively, you could progress further through study of other qualifications or courses.
Progression from this apprenticeship is expected to be into a Chef de Partie role or senior production chef role.
Apprenticeship course fees are subject to the age of the apprentice, the payroll of the employer and the number of employees. Course fees are paid by the employer and not the apprentice. Employers who take on an apprentice aged between 16-18 years old, or with an Educational Health Care Plan, will receive an Incentive Payment to help cover their costs. To discuss Apprenticeship course fees, employers should contact the Apprenticeship Team on 0800 328 3616 or email EmployerPartnerships@ccn.ac.uk
For more information on recruiting an apprentice or if you would like to train your existing staff please contact our Apprenticeship Team on 0800 328 3616 or email EmployerPartnerships@ccn.ac.uk
Hospitality Team Member Apprenticeship Level 2 Standard
Level 2, Apprenticeship, 2 years
Production Chef Apprenticeship Standard Level 2
Level 2, Apprenticeship, 1 year
Hospitality Supervisor Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard
Level 3, Apprenticeship, 3 years
Chef de Partie Apprenticeship Level 3 Standard
Level 3, Apprenticeship, 2 years